• 家园 遗憾
      • 家园 很早就看过这段话,真是掷地有声!萨大能发到日本网上么?
      • 家园 【文摘】【校译】看看原汁原味

记录历史的文字应该被所有的人牢记!

吕广祥的译文铿锵有力,但国内刊物略有删节修饰。

附上原文最后部分,吕广祥的译文(黑字)和本人的一点补充修正(蓝字)。

从中可以体会斯文尼证词的目的和他的美国精神。

背景:

1995年,日本借二战胜利50周年之机,在其本土及美国精心策划了一系列活动,把自己打扮成二战的受害者,蓄意歪曲历史。其中一个重要活动就是通过精心策划的“原子轰炸后果”展览,把美国对日本的原子轰炸说成是炫耀武力的“暴行”。对此,作为唯一两次参与对日本实施原子轰炸的飞行员、美国退役空军少将查尔斯。斯文尼挺身而出,于1995年5月11日在美国国会发表证词。用无可辩驳的事实揭露日本在二战中的侵略本质及其暴行。斯文尼是美国人,他当然是用美国人的立场、视角观察和陈述二战的历史。本刊选登斯文尼的证词,仅供读者了解这一重大历史事件。--- 《世界军事》

部分正文:

As in any war, our goal was --as it should be--to win. The stakes were too high to equivocate.

像在任何一场战争中一样,我们的目标——理所当然的目标——是胜利。这是一个不可动摇的目标。

I am often asked if I ever think of the Japanese who died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

[我经常被问起是否曾经想到广岛和长崎死难的日本人。]

I do not revel in the idea that so many on both sides died, not only at those two places but around the world, in that horrible conflict. I take no pride or pleasure in the brutality of war, whether suffered by my people or those of another nation. Every life is precious.

我不想否认双方死了许多人,不仅两国,而且是世界。我不为战争的残酷性而骄傲而欢乐,我不希望我国或敌国的人民受难。每一个生命都是宝贵的。

But it does seem to me such a question is more appropriately directed to the Japanese warlords who so willingly offered up their people to achieve their visions of greatness. They who started the war and then stubbornly refused to stop it must be called to account. Don't they have the ultimate responsibility for all the deaths of their countrymen?

但我的确认为 这样一个问题应该去问日本战犯,是他们以日本人民为代价追求自身的辉煌。他们发动了战争,并拒绝停止战争。难道他们不应为所有的苦难、为日本的灾难负最终 的责任吗?

Perhaps if the Japanese came to grips with their past and their true part in the war they would hold those Japanese military leaders accountable. The Japanese people deserve an answer from those who brought such misery to the nations of the Far East and ultimately to their own people. Of course, this can never happen if we collaborate with the Japanese in wiping away the truth.

也许如果日本人真切地了解过去,认清他们国家在战争中的责任,他们将会看到是日本战犯要负起战争的罪责。日本人民应该给远东人民一个答复,是谁把灾难强加给远东各国,最后强加给日本自己。[那些把灾难强加给远东各国并最后强加给自己人民的人,应该给日本人民一个答复。--中式政治改动]当然如果我们与[一些]日本人一道抹煞历史的真相,那么这一点是永远也做不到的。

如果日本不追询并接受真相,日本怎能安心地与自己相处,与亚洲邻国、与美国相处?[--没找到出处]

My crew and I flew these missions with the belief that they would bring the war to an end. There was no sense of joy. There was a sense of duty and commitment that we wanted to get back to our families and loved ones.

我和我的部属在执行原子轰炸任务时坚信,我们将结束战争。我们并没有感到高兴。而是一种责任感和使命感,而且我们想回到自己的家人身边。

Today millions of people in America and in Southeast Asia are alive because the war ended when it did.

I do not stand here celebrating the use of nuclear weapons. Quite the contrary.I hope that my mission is the last such mission ever flown.

今天,我战在这里作证,并不是庆祝原子弹的使用,而是相反。我希望我的使命是最后一次。

We, as a nation, should abhor the existence of nuclear weapons.

我们作为一个民族应该对原子弹的存在感到恐惧[美国大兵?恐惧?原文是厌恶 --美式人文思想]。

I certainly do.

我就感到恐惧[厌恶]。

The world is a better place because German and Japanese fascism failed to conquer. Japan and Germany are better places because we were benevolent in our victory. The youth of Japan and the United States, spared from further needless slaughter, went on to live and have families and grow old.

由于德国和日本法西斯被击败,世界变得更好了。[由于我们胜利后的友善大度,日本和德国变得更好了。--again]日本和美国的年轻人不再相互杀戮,而是生长、成家立业,在和平中生活。

I do not speak for all veterans of that war. But I believe that my sense of pride in having served my country in that great conflict is shared by all veterans. This is why the truth about that war must be preserved. We veterans are not shrinking violets. Our sensibilities will not be shattered in intelligent and controversial debate. We can handle ourselves.

[我并不代表那次战争中所有的老兵。但是我相信,象我自己一样,所有的老兵都以在战争中为祖国服务而骄傲。这就是为什么我们一定要保存战争的真相。我们老兵们并不畏缩。在充满挑战和争议大论战中,我们保持着敏感,我们可以从容应对。]

But we will not -- we cannot -- allow armchair second-guessers to frame the debate by hiding facts from the American public and the world. I have great faith in the good sense and fairness of the American people to consider all the facts and make an informed judgment about the war's end.

[但是,我们不会也决不能允许那些太师椅上的事后诸葛亮们通过隐藏事实来误导美国公众和整个世界。我深信美国人民的判断力和公正,他们会认识所有的事实并对这种战争终结方式作出明达的判断。]

This is an important debate. The soul of our nation - its essence, its history---is at stake.

[这是一场非常重要的辩论。我们的国家精神—她的精髓和历史— 面临着严峻的评判!]

Maj Gen Charles W. Sweeney, USAF (Ret)

• 家园 送花.明天我去图书馆看看能不能借到原书

鲜花已经成功送出。

此次送花为【有效送花赞扬,涨乐善、声望】

我已查出图书馆有<War's end : an eyewitness account of America's last atomic mission / by Charles W. Sweeney with James A. Antonucci and Marion K. Antonucci>

• 家园 人,不能好了伤疤忘了痛

不过以后日本是肯定成不了气候了。

• 家园 这段文字应该被所有的人牢记,无论美国人、中国人还是日本人。

人类真是一种善于忘记的动物,短短50年的时间,由无数生命和鲜血换来的正义的胜利竟然被刻意营造的谎言所歪曲,铁一般的罪证竟然被刻意地否认和“遗忘”!难道真的需要再一次的战争才能唤醒我们和他们的记忆吗?

• 家园

整整几代日本人不知道他们的国家在第二次世界大战中都干了些什么。这可以理解为什么他们不理解日本为什么要道歉。

与德国认罪的姿态不同,日本坚持认为它没干任何错事,它的行为是受当时局势的拖累。这种态度粉碎了任何真正弥合创伤的希望。

• 家园

今天,我在这里作证,并不是庆祝原子弹的使用,而是相反。我希望我的使命是最后一次。我们作为一个民族应该对原子弹的存在感到恐惧。我就感到恐惧。

• 家园 读罢无语

[SIZE=3]向查尔斯.斯文尼致敬![/SIZE]

感谢老萨的转载!

分页树展主题 · 全看首页 上页
/ 5
下页 末页

有趣有益,互惠互利;开阔视野,博采众长。