共:💬51 🌺87 新:
全看树展主题 · 分页首页 上页
/ 4
下页 末页
家园 this is gambling

not trading anymore.

家园 老巴就是那么一说而已。不能当真。

这点跟国内那些人扯起淡来没什么两样。

Last year I told you that Berkshire had 62 derivative contracts that I manage. (We also have a few

left in the General Re runoff book.) Today, we have 94 of these, and they fall into two categories.

First, we have written 54 contracts that require us to make payments if certain bonds that are

included in various high-yield indices default. These contracts expire at various times from 2009 to 2013.

At yearend we had received $3.2 billion in premiums on these contracts; had paid $472 million in losses;

and in the worst case (though it is extremely unlikely to occur) could be required to pay an additional $4.7

billion.

We are certain to make many more payments. But I believe that on premium revenues alone,

these contracts will prove profitable, leaving aside what we can earn on the large sums we hold. Our

yearend liability for this exposure was recorded at $1.8 billion and is included in “Derivative Contract

Liabilities” on our balance sheet.

The second category of contracts involves various put options we have sold on four stock indices

(the S&P 500 plus three foreign indices). These puts had original terms of either 15 or 20 years and were

struck at the market. We have received premiums of $4.5 billion, and we recorded a liability at yearend of

$4.6 billion. The puts in these contracts are exercisable only at their expiration dates, which occur between

2019 and 2027, and Berkshire will then need to make a payment only if the index in question is quoted at a

level below that existing on the day that the put was written. Again, I believe these contracts, in aggregate,

will be profitable and that we will, in addition, receive substantial income from our investment of the

premiums we hold during the 15- or 20-year period.

Two aspects of our derivative contracts are particularly important. First, in all cases we hold the

money, which means that we have no counterparty risk.

Second, accounting rules for our derivative contracts differ from those applying to our investment

portfolio. In that portfolio, changes in value are applied to the net worth shown on Berkshire’s balance

sheet, but do not affect earnings unless we sell (or write down) a holding. Changes in the value of a

derivative contract, however, must be applied each quarter to earnings.

Thus, our derivative positions will sometimes cause large swings in reported earnings, even

though Charlie and I might believe the intrinsic value of these positions has changed little. He and I will

not be bothered by these swings – even though they could easily amount to $1 billion or more in a quarter –

and we hope you won’t be either. You will recall that in our catastrophe insurance business, we are always

ready to trade increased volatility in reported earnings in the short run for greater gains in net worth in the

long run. That is our philosophy in derivatives as well.

他手上的derivative都是以数十数百亿美刀计算的。

家园 铁老大

最近没有去PUT两把Yahoo?

家园 感谢铁老大好文

小弟凑合补充点(写不好,大家别踹~~)

stock option:也称employee stock owner,ESO.经理股票期权,即企业与经理人签订合同时候,授权经理人未来以签订合同时候约定价格购买一定数量的公司普通股的选择权,经理人有权在一定期限后出售这些股票获得股票市值和行权价之间的差价,但是在合同期间不可以转让和获得股息。

另外个人觉得google股票下跌会导致投资者出现risk-seeking behavior,期待股票将来上涨而依然持有google,相对中国股民,美国投资者比较理性。

家园 实际上就是国内的权证

只不过国内把没价值的权证恶炒而已,但是东西是一样的

家园 这个就是权证啊
全看树展主题 · 分页首页 上页
/ 4
下页 末页

有趣有益,互惠互利;开阔视野,博采众长。
虚拟的网络,真实的人。天南地北客,相逢皆朋友

Copyright © cchere 西西河